Your photograph must be:
- 2x2 inches in size
- Taken within the past 6 months, showing current appearance
- Full face, front view. Do NOT tilt your face to the left or right, or up or down.
- Plain white or off-white background
- Free of shadows, blurriness, dots, and graininess.
- Not underexposed (too dark) or overexposed (too bright).
- The photo should be of your face, neck, and shoulders only, with some blank space above the top of your head. Do not include your chest in the photo. Between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head. About 1/4 to 1/2 inch of blank space at top of the head. About 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the top of shoulders visible. See the first page of your passport application form DS-11 or DS-82 for a visual depiction of these requirements.
- Clothing must be normal street attire. Do NOT wear a uniform, a costume, etc.
- Religious attire is acceptable if it is worn daily. In this case, a letter of explanation must be provided.
- Do NOT ear a hat, headgear, or jewelry that obscures the hair or hairline.
- If you normally wear prescription glasses, a hearing device, wig or similar articles, they should be worn for your picture.
- Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are NOT acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons. A medical certificate may be required.
DIGITIZED PASSPORT PHOTO:
If you choose to submit a digitized photo, it must meet the same requirements of all passport photographs. In addition, digitized photographs are always produced on digital printers. Some printers will produce a photograph in which the dots are seen. Visible dots distort the image by making it look grainy. Acceptable photos have a continuous tone image that looks photo-like.