A certified birth certificate has a raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored registrar's seal, registrar’s signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within 1 year of your birth.  Some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes. 

If your name has changed from birth please provide original court documentation to support that change.

Delayed Birth Certificates filed more than one year after your birth may be acceptable if it:

  • Listed the documentation used to create it; and
  • Signed by the attending physician or midwife, or, lists an affidavit signed by the parents, or shows early public records.

If you do NOT have a previous U.S. passport or a certified birth certificate, you will need secondary proof of U.S. citizenship:

  1. Letter of No Record: Issued by the State with your name, date of birth, which years were searched for a birth record and that there is no birth certificate on file for you.

   2.  AND as many of the following documents as possible

·         Baptismal certificate

·         Hospital birth certificate

·         Census record

·         Early school record

·         Family bible record

·         Doctor's record of post-natal care


  • These documents must be early public records showing the date and place of birth, preferably created within the first five years of your life.
  • You may also submit an Affidavit of Birth

Form DS-10, from an older blood relative, i.e., a parent, aunt, uncle, sibling, who has personal knowledge of your birth. It must be notarized or have the seal and signature of the acceptance agent.

NoteThe documents listed above are considered secondary proof of U.S. citizenship.  The U.S. Department of State reserves the right to request additional information and documentation.  Each application is handled on a case-by-case basis.